Monday, February 23, 2009

Beauty, Discipline and Inertia...oh yeah, and Writing

Yesterday, for the first time in ages, I didn't work on my novel the entire day. I didn't write one new word. I didn't revise a single sentence. I don't even know that I thought about it. Today, I didn't get back to it until late in the evening, and by then I was practically shaking from withdrawal. Okay, not really, but my mind was surely shaking.

You see, for the first time in my life, I am writing regularly. Not a lot, but every day. Sometimes it's only 15 or 30 minutes, but those are good solid fingers-clacking-constantly-on-keyboard minutes not those mamby-pamby looking-out-the-window-thinking minutes. This, more than anything else, makes me feel like a real writer.

So I am here to say that I've discovered the beauty of discipline. And also that for me, inertia is everything. If I'm at rest, I'm likely to stay at rest...forever. But if I'm writing, and I keep writing every day, then eventually, I'm likely to finish this book.

No comments: