Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Meeting in the Hague

It sounds so glamorous, doesn’t it? Dashing across the country, from Groningen to Den Haag, for a meeting of the Netherlands chapter of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI). In reality, it was a long train ride. But I got to leave my son with oma and opa and be a grown-up for a while. Besides, I’d never been to the Hague, so it was a good excuse to go.

The meeting was small. Only three of us showed up. I suppose everyone wanted to get out and enjoy the first sunny Saturday this winter. The chapter leader, Laura Watkinson, and another woman, Linda Lodding, and I sat down and talked. We talked books. We talked writing. We talked inspiration. And we talked about the plan of events for the coming year. The chapter is small and only started halfway through last year. So it’s pretty cool that next month we have British author Leila Rasheed visiting us for a reading, a talk, and manuscript critiques.

For me, it was nice to get out and talk to other writers, to speak English freely without worrying that I should be practicing my Dutch. And best of all, Linda and I made a pact. I’ve had some stories lying around ever since their last round of rejections in October. They really should be on their way somewhere or sitting in cozy slush on some editor’s desk. So Linda and I have agreed that by Friday we will both send off our stuff. Anyone else want to join in on the pact?


Oh yeah, then I got to walk around this beautiful city. I missed the Escher museum, but maybe next time.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds great! Thanks for telling us about it. I can't join the pact, but I'm happy to cheer you on...

Michelle said...

That's great! I like the pact idea too. I'll join up and say I'm going to send out a couple more agent queries by then.

Lisa said...

Awesome Michelle! I'm 6 hours ahead of you but I'm just about to go print up my story and cover letter. It's the last finished story not out and about in the world. I expect your report later today. :)

Sarah said...

I might dust off The Storm King. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing- I'm really trying to focus on The Looking Glass.