Friday, August 28, 2009

A quote inspired by posts

This quote came to mind twice in the last day. The first time it was inspired by Scott's post on instinct. The second time it was because of Patrick's post about quotes. So here it is:

"Craft involves technique. Craft has rules. If a potter doesn't center the clay on the potter's wheel, he can't throw a pot. If a cabinet maker doesn't measure the wood carefully, cut corners at the proper angle or join those corners correctly, she can't build a level table. What the potter and cabinetmaker produce may be art. But they could not produce that art without craft. In craft, it's the process that matters." Nancy Lamb, from The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children.

If you're a children's writer, and you haven't read that book, I highly recommend it. It's probably the best book addressing craft and process that I've read. And no, I'm not partial to it just because she mentioned a potter. Although that is a big reason I love that quote so much!

4 comments:

Tess said...

Funny - I've been thinking about this lately as well. Great post, and love the pottery link, it's so perfectly you :D

Sarah said...

Great quote, Michelle!

I was going through my writing books yesterday, and saw the copy of that book on my shelf. I read it once after you gave it to me, but I think I'm going to go through it again...

B.J. Anderson said...

Thanks for the great quote and the book recommendation. I'll definitely have to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good book, I may have to add it to my pile.