Thursday, February 4, 2010

But the fighter still remains

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of ev'ry glove that layed him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains


Every time I hear this part of the The Boxer, I think of writing. Isn't there that part in all of us that remembers every bad critique? Even if it was accurate? Especially if it was accurate?

We're on the second day of pitch-polishing, and this song seemed so appropriate as we continue with revisions. I've been so ... (I'm a writer, I should be able to find the right words) ... delighted with and grateful for the way readers have critiqued and contestants have responded. Please keep it up.

Here's to the fighter in us all.



1 comment:

Tess said...

Who doesn't love Paul Simon? And, I have never thought of the connection between this song and the writing journey before. It's a good one -- we shall fight on :D